J-Quilts blog


Well it has not been a great week for me for quilting, as my stitch regulator cable snapped a tiny wire causing the stitch regulator to fail which has put me on temporary hold !!!  This was caused I believe, when I drove my machine to Surrey a couple of weeks ago for its annual service, and the travel must have dislodged a wire in the cable.  On my return that night my stitch regulator was not happy as it did not work straight away, but after a little wiggle of the cable it seemed to be OK.  However, as I did not want to be without my stitch regulator should it fail completely,  I  emailed APQS who promised to send me the replacement cable, my machine has an 8 year warranty so the replacement parts are free of charge.  However the down side of importing your machine is you have to wait for the parts to arrive from the US, and in the meantime it has failed completely.  Of course I can still run my machine in manual mode, although I would never complete a customer quilt in this mode, as the stitch length would not be regulated and therefore of consistent lenght.    I hope that the cable arrives early this week so that I can get back up and running.  Luckily I am only 2 quilts within the time frame that I quote, although I took in 6 quilts last week, which also need to be quilted.  I will be busy quilting once this tiny cable arrives.  You would not think this tiny cable would be so important. 
You see that tiny white wire?  well that has completely snapped out of place, and although I was hoping my husband could fix it, the sealed unit it is in does not allow this to be done.
I am now in the hands of the US postal service, and our postal service. 
On a more positive note however, given this mishap did not allow me to get on with my customer quilts, I was able to join a quilt club in Langham on Wednesday which a couple of my customers had invited me to join.  I had hoped to be able to make it anyway, but had thought I may not as I was busy with customer quilts.  
I therefore had a very enjoyable day piecing my tumbler blocks and chatting to like minded quilters.  I saw a few familiar faces of customers, and quilters who I had previously met at the quilters guild also.   It was nice to catch up and chat about quilting.  It had been a while since I had used my Bernina, but it was nice reaquainting myself with it.   My pfaff is far too heavy to take out to clubs!!  I also met some new faces too and hope that I can remember names for the next months meeting.  I was impressed by the amount of quilting and sewing which was being done at the same time as chatting.  I saw a beautiful quilt being hand quilted, and I really must remember to find out how that looks when finished.  I do love most types of quilting, and most quilts.
However, I am not too sure about this one so far, I think I may  have put too much yellow into the mix.  But it is just a bit of fun, and it gave me chance to use the tumbler blocks.  Next up will be the apple core block which my youngest Son has chosen for his next quilt.
So fingers crossed I will be back to full speed early this week so I can meet the deadlines that I put on myself for the completion of my customer quilts.


Comments RSS
Borderline Quilter on 20 February 2011 19:26
Can't believe a pesky little piece like that can cause so many problems! Best Wishes Kay in Scoltand
Reply to comment

Add a Comment

Your Name:
Email Address: (Required)
Make your text bigger, bold, italic and more with HTML tags. We'll show you how.
Post Comment
Website Builder provided by  Vistaprint