Taking advantage of a rare reasonable day for my back, I decided to finally finish my long standing work in progress, which has been on my design wall at the studio for months, and it only took an hour to complete in the end. Actually I am not quite sure it is finished yet, as it is quite small. Ignore the top left hand corner, which is just pinned on and the pieces floating around it. I still haven't decided if I want to add them to each corner like planned, I'm not sure I like that effect.
So some time when I have some free time I will quilt it up, more than likely freehand and something different in the cream borders.
Then as I was on a roll, and armed with a new Layer cake "Trade winds" by moda, I was in the mood to piece, so I started my next piecing project (even though I have many in progress and should be working on my small jubilee project for Septembers local quilt show). I am always frustrated with the cut of layer cakes though, as they are rarely accurately 10 inch squares and I am not keen on the pinked cut edges - they always make such a terrible fluffy mess everywhere too.
With the white additional diamonds, a layer cake will make a quilt about 62 inches square. It makes 27 blocks, (It would have made 28, but I miscut one) so unless I can find similar fabrics in my stash to make another 3 blocks to make it a little longer then it will stay at 5 x 5 blocks, with 2 leftover.