I have had a busy quilty weekend, which has been the first one in a while that I have spent so much time piecing and marking. First off on Friday night, I decided that I must make the time to pluck up the courage to mark my wholecloth quilt from my pattern which I had designed some time ago now.
It was very tricky and part way through I thought to myself that maybe a cotton silk fabric was not really the right choice for this project, as it was very slippery and not easy to mark. However, armed with my fine line blue marker I very clumsily marked up the fabric. Quilting it of course is a completely different story for when I get some free time to do it when I have a free full weekend. It was easier to mark on paper than fabric that is for sure.
I hope that when I do finally come to quilt it that I can see the lines, and that I can smooth out any roughness in my markings.... I am still not yet convinced that I can accomplish this with any degree of success.....
I went to the Chilford quilt show on Friday afternoon as a flying visit really, and only spent 3 hours or so there (in a bid to spend less !!!) I bought various marking pens (for my wholecloth), a bias tape maker, an add a 1/4 inch ruler for foundation piecing, and a 6 fat quarter set in blacks and creams which was a little bit out of my normal colour choice, anyway look what I have achieved since then..... I had planned for it to be a very simple quick quilt to quilt as a sample, but it kind of evolved into this..... I just made it up as I went along, which is probably not the best of plans, and honestly this is probably my most inaccurately pieced project ever and is not very square ..... I should have trimmed down my triangles to make sure that they were all exactly the same size before trying to piece them all together... I am pretty sure I will be needing to starch and steam at least one of my wavy borders too when I come to quilt it. I purposely have added wide borders because I want to try something different in them when I come to quilt it. I have stretched 6 fat quarters a very long way adding a half metre of red and a metre of wide width black marble. This is not in my normal colour schemes of quilts I tend to make, but overall I am fairly pleased with the outcome and look forward to quilting it some time in the future.